Friday, August 4, 2017

Victory or die!

So I removed the shocks, as well as this.


After tempting fate with a pry bar and the broken coil spring, I made a coil compressor similar to what's described here:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/index.php/2008/05/21/hmx-diy-coil-spring-compressor/

My thinking being that it would be a safer approach to use the already-existing components that have the job of keeping the coil contained.

Here it is in action during it's inaugural use on the unbroken spring:


 I have to admit, I was not at all fond of having to wrestle that control arm away from under the compressed spring.  The only thing between me and a closed-casket funeral was the quality of my weld, and I managed to live.

Things got a little tense in the release phase.  See, I cut the threaded rod so I could get a deep socket on the nut, totally overlooking the fact that I'd need some travel to release the spring safely.


A few cigarettes later, I decided that the coil couldn't be under much tension at that point.  It was extended beyond the point it was at prior to compression, and the Gremlin was raised on the lift to let the suspension hang, so I decided I'd wrap the hell out of it with welding blankets and just keep backing that nut off.  After another cigarette.

Afterwards, I went back in the garage and set to it, making every attempt to do a stupid thing in as smart as easy as possible.


As you can see, it worked out fine.  The coil just dropped right out without leaping up to kill anything in it's path.  It was a close shave, though, as the pull on the retaining hardware didn't begin to let up until the last 1/2 thread.

Terror wasn't the only result of the work, though.  Here's what the control arm bushings are looking like.  Now I can replace them and the mounting hardware with some new grade 8 fasteners.


The parts I pulled all went into the degreaser tub.


And I got a seat that's more comfortable than I'd expect.


Tomorrow it's ball joints and tie rod ends, then I'm taking it's brother out.  I have to get a move on, since the transmission shop called today to get some more info on the application.  They said they might have it ready tomorrow, but more likely the beginning of next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment