Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Suspension off disbelief and a cautionary tale

I chose the suspension.

Things appear to be in much better shape than expected, which is good.  However, the fuckery balance must be maintained. . .

In my pre-work research, I came across something that I feel compelled to address.  It is, hands down, the is the biggest recurring hurdle that I've had to overcome in my efforts battling entropy:
task and manufacturer-specific tooling.

These tools are not commonly accessible, are expensive, and usually serve only one purpose in addition to their engineered function: to take up space that you don't have to spare until the next time you need the tool.  Not having them can make a couple hour job take days or longer, since you're now spending hours upon hours trying to find a source that will sell the tool at a price that won't send you to an even crappier poor house, eventually giving up, finding someone to borrow money from one last time (I swear!), and then waiting for UPS ground to get around to hanging a missed delivery notice on your door after they've broken the item while unloading the truck that's been sitting at their distribution center for two days.

After reviewing my service manual, I've found that I get to begin yet another iteration of this grueling process.  In case you're curious, here's the tool in question:










UPDATE:


Shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment