Monday, July 9, 2018

This'll be a real thin soup

Not a whole lot to share today, except that I got the really involved part of the exhaust finished.


I had to spend a ton of time doing the grind-and-fill routine, on account of having the "end of a spool blues", followed by the "beginning of a spool boogie."  Both arrangements really dick with my wire feed rate, which I figure is from the difference of weight on the spool at those times compared to when I last adjusted it. 

As a result, I had a ton of burn-through (though some of that was just a result of having too wide a gap between pieces), so I got to take a stroll down floorpan lane for a while, grinding away filler and replacing it so I could grind it away again.

As I was clocking out for the evening, it occurred to me that I can't just weld this whole shebang from end to end.  Even if I raised the Gremlin on the lift, the crossbars for said lift would block the pipes from being installed.  Looks like I'm going to need to fab up a few flanges.  Sure am glad I noticed that now instead of later.

All things considered, I can manage if the rest of the exhaust keeps going how it has so far.  So long as I don't get anymore spatter travelling directly down my ear canal, that is.  Chalk one up for not cleaning my ears this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment