Thursday, July 26, 2018

If you don't fit in, just get a hammer

Still working on the exhaust.  Yep.  Same exhaust that was supposed to be done yesterday.  Ran into a new set of fitment problems that stemmed from my impromptu pipe stands causing improper alignment.  Since most of my time lately has been within a couple feet of scrap metal mountain, I just reached in the pile and used the first pieces of steel I grabbed to make a hat for a bottle jack.  Now it holds one end of the exhaust for me, while the
trans jack that's been having an extended stay at the shop holds the other.  This allowed me to put the sidepipe fully in-place as it should be once completely installed.  Well, after I modified the 90 that attaches to the muffler inlet, that is.

Know that I'm being very generous towards myself by describing the act as "modifying".  What I really mean to say is that I made some cuts in the pipe where it failed to clear the rocker pinch weld, hammered the hell out of it, then welded the cuts back up.  See, I eventually came to the realization that "shut up and make it work" is the name of the game at this point.

On that note, I'll be signing off now for food and rest.  I have to redo the hanger hooks I had made during the time I thought things were fitted correctly, but was very wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment