Monday, July 16, 2018

How do you spell "relief"? I spell it "3-2-space-O-h-m-s"

Which is probably why I never made it past the first round of any spelling bee that I participated in.

Lucky for me, I don't need to spell to use an ohmmeter.  I finally got around to checking the resistance of the sender unit I got from American Parts Depot today, and was delighted to find that they actually sell a sender that's in spec.  The empty reading was a little high at 282 Ohms or so, and full was resting neatly around 32.  Got it installed, empty and full then read about 20 Ohms lower than the out-of-tank reads, which was fine by me!


Here we are, set and happy.  I think that ring needs to be tapped a little more to get the dimples centered under the lock tabs, but I'm going to wait until the tank is secured a little better before doing that.

I also noticed something that didn't really set well with me.  Once again, chips in the POR-15 coating revealed some rust on the metal underneath.  That's a little concerning, considering this thing was shining like the sun before I slathered it in chemical nasty.  It was bone dry, all prep work done per directions, and so on.  I'm getting to the point where I don't trust this product, to be honest.

Aside from that, we had more exhaust cuts and welds to get sorted out.  I don't have time or materials to screw around with flanges for the flex sections, so I'll just deal with that when it's time to redo the exhaust at some point (hell, they'll probably need replacing by then anyway).

Test fit of the downpipes revealed some  incorrect test fitting had occurred prior to, and some drifting during assembly.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect to find that.  I was pleased to see that it didn't turn out to be anything requiring drastic re-measuring to correct.  I got most of the revisions made and tacked together, so that should all be squared away within the first hour of work tomorrow.

This evening brought some overdue work changing out the HID bulbs in an '08 Prius.  It took two hours.  That's the amount of time it took to fit, measure, cut, refit, cut more, grind, and weld my downpipes.  One of the $50 bulbs turned out to be dead  out of the box.  The other seems to have been mispacked and  intended for use in a lighthouse.  That's really all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment