Saturday, July 7, 2018

I understand the words, but I think I'm missing something

Because it sounds like good news.

I spent most of yesterday on the exhaust - cutting my downpipes, making stuff for making the mock-ups, bending brake line to make the mock up segments needed, and enjoying being under the car without having to lift it. 

Once quitting time rolled around, I figured I'd show my tender green belly and publicly post some questions on the AMC forum.  I had a number of things that I needed clarification on; basically, what was and was not important to consider for my exhaust design.  While it might be kind of embarrassing to demonstrate just how little I know about this stuff, doing things the wrong way isn't going to produce any work I can be proud of.

I'm glad I took the time to ask, because it didn't take long at all before one of the members (who I've picked up a lot of info from by just reading old posts on the forum) set me straight on a number of assumptions and misunderstandings I had that would've cost me quite a bit in time, money, and concessions of preference.  Long/short, I don't have any need to concern myself with stepping up pipe diameter, nor do I have to trouble myself with running equal lengths of pipe for each cylinder bank with a true dual setup for my configuration.

The biggest thing that I took away from the exchange was a different perspective on what I'm actually working with.  Instead of thinking of this as a single 6-cylinder engine, I should've been thinking about it as a pair of 3-cylinder engines.  I was already getting part of this when I'd initially decided on a true dual exhaust, namely how the firing order would work with cylinders 1-3 and 4-6 segmented into two groups.  A dual setup like I'm installing will have the exhaust alternating through each pipe, so each run can be viewed in isolation (more or less). 

As usual, I was making things harder for myself than I needed to.  That brings us to today, which was largely uneventful.  I spent a good amount of time sourcing and picking up materials (a 7-1/2' stick of 2" pipe from the yellow muffler place, adapters to fit to the mufflers, and a couple of flex adapters to fit to the downpipes), mostly because of how goddamned long it takes to do even the most simple tasks in this used sharps container they call a city. 

Since I haven't taken a day off in about a month, I made the decision to take a nap and eat for the remainder of the afternoon.  Better than my usual pattern of working until I get sick and collapse for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment