Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Meet the Jettisons

When you're on a ship that's going down and don't have the sense to be a rat, you might manage to wring out a few drops of time by identifying dead weight and cutting it free.  I think.  I'm not a sailor.

Point is, Santa quit without notice, so there's not going to be any sender tutorial this year, Timmy.  The real, final, actual last straw came last night, at the last step of me getting the sender done, when the tack welds that fixed the rheo backing plate to the sender body popped.  Then the whole damn thing came apart.  Again.

I decided to concede this fight to the demons Luck and Fate once I compared what it would cost me to start over again again, versus buying a '78 sender.  Maybe one day I'll get better at assessing whether or not a fight is one I'll be likely to win, but for now I've decided to pick on things smaller than me.

Don't worry, I've got a ton of happenings to keep things busy while we wait for the working sender to arrive.

I got the right oil light sender the other day, so I finished getting that stuff plumbed.


I took a minute to sweat the joints since I didn't want any of the several fittings I used vibrating loose.  I also used a little h-ightemp thread sealant at the block and senders (though not as much as the picture would make it seem).  Now I should be able to have a pressure read, an idiot light, AND an electric choke that will stop getting current when the oil's not pumping.

The exhaust work is now underway, though my plan to use PVC fittings didn't pan out.  The street elbows I got don't fit worth a damn.  That means I've been using some extra 3/16 line to do things the old-fashioned way, i.e. following the centerline the exhaust plumbing will follow.

I also began tying the trans cooler lines in (finally.  FINALLY.), though made an unpleasant discovery: the Grand Latte's return line doesn't fit.  It needs 1/4" of clearance in the trans tunnel to line up with the quick disconnect fitting, and will interfere with the shifter lever.  Somehow.  I don't know how; maybe there was some kind of revision in the valve body housing design that set things on different planes.  Maybe the line is bent.  Maybe I need to start looking for any lifeboats that may still be onboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment