Sunday, July 8, 2018

Breathe out. Things are in flux. It's the way of the road.

The shop water man needs to come by for a pick-up something fierce.  With my subscription container long ready for a service call, the old beverage containers are stacking up like cord wood.  Times like these make me start eyeing a more substantial solution. . .


Enough about my forgetfulness, though.  When I haven't been complaining about bad replacement parts today, I've been doing exhaust fab work.

After a few runs to O'Partsy's to make some  exchanges for the right adapters, I got prep work on said adapters, some pipe, and the side pipe inlet sections done.  The side pipe parts were the most demanding, because they are thoroughly chromed and I wanted to make sure I got every bit of that mess off my welding points before starting.

In an uncharacteristic display of regard for proper safety procedures, I actually made sure to not only keep my respirator on at all times, but I also had a big ass fan blowing smoke towards the door (though, unfortunately I would later find that it didn't actually send any of it out the door.  Guess my not noticing means the respirator works).  I also took the time to do a practice run on a couple rings I cut off from the stick of pipe I bought yesterday.

Here's the first shot:


Far from what I'd prefer, but not as bad as I expected.  Penetration left a little to be desired, though.  This was also my first chance to check out these butt weld clamps I've had for. . . Two years?  I had lost them during the time I was working on the floor, but boy, would they have been handy.  I really appreciate that they set the gap between pieces to where it needs to be and keeps it there.

I think things went better on the second attempt, both in the spatter not being so ridiculous, and how thoroughly it seems the weld penetrated this time.


Sadly, I found myself back in familiar territory once I started to work on the important stuff.  While all was weld and dandy with my butts, there was trouble to be had in my lap.  I didn't get any pictures yet, but they were a little disappointing.  Still a substantial improvement from when I last tried to weld exhaust pipe sections last winter, but the welds themselves are much more proud than I am of the result.

Either way, it works.  I think I'm doing fine, considering it's flux core wire and I'm not exactly an expert in the craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment