Sunday, July 1, 2018

Soldering off when under fire

So the sender unit's assembled by solder.  Huh.  Never would've guessed. . .


See, my plan was to braze the new sender's backing plate to this.  That was obviously before it came apart entirely.  This is the kind of event that registers with me in a way similar to how Fred Flintstone processes the sound of screaming from an injured bird, so I called it a day and thought about what to do as I made my way back to the house.

Shortly after posting a "wanted" ad for a sender on an AMC group, it occurred to me that I can get things reassembled and cleaned, then just tack it all together.  It's all pretty thin stuff, but I should be able to give them a quick zap here and there without reducing the whole thing to a pile of slag.  Actually, let me try that again: I think someone else could do it, but in my case, the pile of slag is probably the better outcome than what I'm sure I'll manage to do.

In other news, the radiator has brackets now.  Finally.  I have nothing to offer as an explanation for why so much time and work only managed to result in this, but at least it's done.


Exhaust is pulled, though not yet cut.  I'm considering tacking a crossbar or something to the collectors so they'll retain their orientation when away from the manifolds.  For an illustration of how far down the exhaust pipe was hanging, check this out.


See the yellow lines that begin near my wrist?  That represents the underside of the oil pan.  The lowest point was still higher up than that of the diff, but only barely, meaning it dipped way too far past the subframe rails for me to be comfortable.

I'm holding off on making any cuts until I've got the side pipes positioned, just like I'm keeping that ad up until I have a working sender.



No comments:

Post a Comment