Sunday, January 21, 2018

I'm finally done with prepping the driveshaft for the big day.  I made three sections for my jig, pictured here:


The first one ("A") took up way too much time and patience, as I was fucking it up because I didn't know what I was doing.  Not unlike raising kids (or so I'm told).

I was relieved once they could finally do what they're supposed to on their own, because that meant I could actually get back to doing what I needed to, instead of constantly correcting and messing with them.


Driveshaft is level and looks to be straight.  I'd go ahead with cutting it to get it over with, but it's too late to be running the bandsaw in my tarpaper shack, 20ft away from people's beds (though that's not to say that hasn't happened many times before).  Now that I think about it, there are balancers on each end of that thing, and I haven't marked their corresponding end with the radial point to line them back up correctly.  So I'll be doing that first thing when I get back.

Earlier in the day, I did a test on a new pair of "clench" wrenches I got in the hopes of making my ongoing struggles with line fittings lean a little less in their favor.  I decided to give them a shot after seeing a video a guy recorded, showing him loosening a brake line fitting with one hand.  The other hand was filming.

Now, I'm not a greedy person, so I wasn't hoping for anything more than the ability to consistently work on my line fittings without concluding the work by saying, "well, that's the last time that's going to be put on.  Better make a note to get a replacement tomorrow."  No need for one-handed sorcery- I'd just like to be able to perform maintenance on a critical system without mutilating its vital components every time I touch them.

I didn't want to jeopardize Eagle's brakes to test a wrench out, so I took a couple of spare line nuts and put a healthy amount of blue thread lock on before getting them good and tightly fastened, then set them aside for 12 hours.  I'm completely aware of the fact that this isn't even close to getting the salty brake line, but it's what I had on hand without going overkill or spending a ton of time on poorly trying to determine something I'll figure out at some point anyway.

I loosely clamped one fitting in a small vise to keep stuff reasonably in place, but still be a challenge, then decided to try and see if I could round off the vise nut with one hand turning  the wrench, and the other in my pocket.  Turns out it turned out.  I was able to easily free the top nut with one hand and without chewing the corners to hell.  I guess I'll need to go play with the brakes on the AMX to see if they do just as well with real world bullshit.


No comments:

Post a Comment