Thursday, January 4, 2018

A frenetic pace is a perfectly viable substitute for

Luck, planning, knowledge, skill, or any mix of the above.  This isn't my opinion; I'm just reporting the news as it happens.

In the wake of my tubing getting tied up due to questions of size, I managed to brute force my way into making progress.  Seriously, check it out.  Today I:

  • Got my tubing lengths cut and flared (minus two)
  • Cleaned and PORed the section of the transmission tunnel that needed it
  • Raised the car and developed a means to lift the transmission loosely into place
  • Cut and bent the trans cooler lines up to their first soft segments
  • Attached the shift levers and kickdown linkage
  • Attached the cross member and transmission
  • Vacuumed, kinda (believe me, this counts)
  • Posted 3 updates 
And were it not for the two fittings for the trans cooler lines going missing, I would've started putting the transmission in an hour ago.  

Their disappearance is probably for the best, though, since those fittings were 40 years old and pretty well conformed to the flare ends of the original cooler lines.  It's likely that I would never have gotten them to seal worth a damn.  That's what I'm telling myself, at least.

I also became aware of the fact that the column shifter linkage that AMC used is hanging out right through where the new exhaust will need to run.  



Since every bit of space is going to count here, I decided it needs to go and promptly removed it (so add another bullet to the bandolier).  I've also decided that I'll be replacing it with something that doesn't require a cable linkage kit that costs $185+s/h.  Let's see if that box gets checked.

No comments:

Post a Comment