Saturday, January 20, 2018

If you can read this, you'd be home by now.

This update is going to be mostly a craft corner post, though I manage to free the prop shaft from the old driveshaft without ruining it, which took a loooooot longer than you'd think because of the level of attention demanded to keep it and myself from being rendered worthless.  The rest of the time was spent in transit and preparing the driveshaft operating table.

Something that was taken care of, though left undocumented yesterday, was bench testing the subject of our craft activity:


This is a compressor used to inflate GM Autoride bags, and was pulled from some  Oldsmobile mall assault crawler made in '01.  Due to its age, I was pleased to discover that it sounded like it runs without any problems at all.  It took a while to find documentation on the pinout, but basically all of the wiring beyond that tied to the momentary switch and the larger gauge orange (switched 12V) and black ground wires don't affect its operation; they're all connections to robot brains that make it turn on and off at different times.  Have a wiring diagram, if you care:


The amount of current it draws is enough to warrant mentioning.  If you get one of these, you'll end up needing to have a good couple amp source of 12V power.  When we tested it, my buddy's little bench power supply started flipping it's breaker at around .62A or so.  We ended up just taking it out to Eagle and connecting to the battery terminals.  It ran perfectly well at 12.8V, so I think it's gonna do just fine with a charging alternator providing juice.

After getting it all set up, I'll have a sort-of onboard air setup.  I won't be able to run air tools, but I also won't have to use any of those crap ass car lighter air pumps to air up my tires.  I'll also be able to use it to drive a pneumatic jack, and maybe blow filth off of things in the field.  I think it's a fair compromise between carrying a portable tank compressor around, and installing another heavy ass AC compressor in the engine bay.  What I'd really like to see how much effort it would take to set up a one-person brake bleeder.

I keep falling asleep as I'm writing this, so I'll share info about the driveshaft leveling jig once wakeup time rolls in.

No comments:

Post a Comment