Thursday, January 18, 2018

I'd like to know why being in a comfort zone

Is so damn uncomfortable.

After a short burst of productivity and progress, things hurried back to business as usual.  It was time to get the ujoints sorted out, and lacking a vise with adequate jaw spread to do things the service manual way, I set about making a vise (of sorts) with the threaded rod I had left over from when I made the coil spring compressor tool and some angle iron. 

It kinda worked, in the sense that it performed the mechanical tasks it was designed to.  As far as actually serving to press out ujoints, though, it was unmitigated shit.  Not due to any fault in its part; it was just impossible to summon all the hands needed to make it go, even with a helper.  So after spending a few hours on that, I said to hell with it and drove across town to once-again make use of my friend's press.

This was a huge improvement.  Until it wasn't.  Long short, previous wear combined forces with slight misalignments that normally would've quickly self-corrected and caused the yoke ears to get eaten up by the bearing caps.  Seriously.  Both goddamned ends. Its fucked up.


The red circle surrounds a point of wear that caused binding with the bearing cap as it was being pressed back out, and instead of slipping past and leveling out, the cap decided to just send everything straight to hell. Again, this happened on both ends.

I knew what to expect when I checked, but I still find myself amused by the Google search results for a replacement part.


Close to 0 sounds promising, though 38" from ear to ear sounds better.  Let's see what we can find to use off-lable.

No comments:

Post a Comment