Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Here's hoping this is the last of it

Winter usually marks a period for me that's made up of spend-frenzy holidays that I vainly hope to avoid, several months of depression, and two (sometimes more) sleeping marathons that run anywhere between 72 hours and a week and change and bookend that piss-poor excuse for a season.  By the looks of the hideous claws that have erupted from my fingertips and the blurred passage of the first half of this month, the beginning of winter's end has arrived.  So this is probably a good time to discuss heat shielding for some reason.  I don't know.  I'm still waking up.

Anyway, here's what you get, straight from the hell of cold dreams to the hell of cold, glowing rectangles:

1) Want some fancy ass, moldable aluminum stuff like the BMWs get, but don't want to pay $40 for less than a square foot of material?  Too bad. 

What you can do, though, is get some cheap aluminum sheet (roof flashing, garage dog trespassing sale shot signs, whatever) and sandwich fiberglass mat or ceramic insulation material (maybe header wrap if you happen to have some extra) between two aluminum sheets and roll the edges over to seal the deal.  If you want it to be embossed, get a shaped rolling pin or some perforated steel sheet and mash it down on the surface to emboss your pockets.

2) This one's probably less likely to be useful, but I have pounds and pounds of thick-ass copper clad board from a free lot of surplus electronics components I picked up a few years ago. The copper can be etched away with a muriatic/hydrochloric acid and peroxide mix, and the byproduct will make a handy etchant solution for future use, should I need it.  If you're unfamiliar with the process, here's an "instructables" tutorial that covers the details:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Stop-using-Ferric-Chloride-etchant!--A-better-etc/

Once the copper has been etched off, the heavy-gauge, bare board material can be epoxied together for carb spacer material, since I suspect that having an insulating spacer is going to be a pretty handy thing to have alongside the mixture jet kit.

You may have noticed a change in tone with this update, and I wish I could attribute it fully to poor temperament after a week-long nap, but that wouldn't be honest.  See, I found a perfect solution to my column shifter cable need.  Yeah, I'm in a pissy mood because I have a cheap ($17 vs $60) and easy solution for what could be a challenging problem.

If you're wondering why this may be, the answer's actually really simple: it's a cable for a Toyota Camry.  This is the first part from a non-domestic make vehicle to go in Gremlin since I started all this. 

Now I'm going to directly contradict myself here and acknowledge the fact that the 4.0l head, intake, and exhaust aren't technically domestic, as they're design iterations that were developed when Chrysler was actually DaimlerChrysler AG.  So my hair splitting has once again allowed me to come up with a thin, yet convoluted excuse to compromise on an important requirement for this project (an American AMC restomod, if it could be called such).  Either way, I'll probably swap the cable out one day in the future for one that doesn't start causing the xenophobia to act up.  Looks like a nice cable, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment