Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Flashback Tuesday, Common Sense Wednesday

Yesterday was a flashback episode.  Worked on shocks, struts, fuel tubing, and choking back screams of fury/wails of despair.

Shocks and struts needed attention because they were installed with a large portion of the vehicle's sprung weight absent.  This left them unable to fully span the gap between their top and bottom fastening points (ex: top of shock tower to upper control arm).  With the engine weight now present, I was able to get the shocks torqued down. But the struts will have to wait until the car is fully lowered (at least the back end, that is).

Hours were sent trying to flare the fuel line segments that will be connecting to soft line before I finally threw my cheap import flaring tool in the trash where it belongs.  No matter how hard the line was secured in the clamp, the slightest pressure from the flaring press squeezed the tubing right out. 

It wasn't until I was falling asleep that I remembered that I had a reason for not using tubing cutters for this kind of thing: it work hardens the damn tubing.  It's hard to make work, so you have to work harder, when the work was already hard to begin with.  I previously used hacksaws to account for this, but I'm going to try annealing the tubing with a torch and slow cool.  I'm also renting a flaring tool that's worth a damn.

I also pulled the shifter linkage off of Gremlin's old trans.  Check out the bolt of anarchy:


The other is a little more plain, though I like the 'TF' symbol, which I presume is for TorqueFlite.


Okay, that's enough screwing around. I've got a car to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment