Tuesday, September 19, 2017

HEAD ON!!! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE ENGINE BLOCK!!! HEAD ON!!! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE ENGINE BLOCK!!!

But don't really. You have to put a gasket between them first.


That AC hose continues to be a pain in the ass. If it weren't for the fact that I'll be driving places where air conditioning is going to be an important concern, and that I want to avoid converting from R12 for as long as possible, I would've cut this damn thing long ago.

The bigger challenge, though, is that the 258 lacks the key studs to align the head and block that were introduced with the 242.  I gave one honest attempt at setting the gasket and placing the head on correctly without shifting the gasket, and that's all it took for me to confirm that doing things that way is dumb as hell.


There's half of the solution. Cut heads off bolts, cut slots for a flathead, screw into block, toss gasket on, then head, unscrew with long screwdriver.  Maybe fish it out with a magnet.  You could use appropriately-sized set screws, but I had these bolts lying around already and I figure the smooth collar would be a better guide stud than one that's threaded.

The other half of the solution was to use the lift to lower the head.  Doing it by hand sucks, man.  Anyway, here's a shot of the valve cover in place (though not actually attached):


No comments:

Post a Comment