Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Auto-save is about as consistent as Amazon's shipping timelines

Yesterday's post got eaten.  Long/short, I'm taking a little extra time while I'm waiting far too long for Amazon to ship my damn engine seal kit (order placed Friday, still not shipped. Don't tell me it's because of Labor Day- unless they suddenly began giving a damn about their shipping and receiving workers, the only way the holiday would have any effect is to give them an excuse to dick people around on shipping timelines).

Speaking of taking far too long, you may be wondering if I was ever going to give a finger update.  Here it is: I still have faint remnants of the glove staining on two fingers.  I have made peace with the idea that this may always be the case.

Today I'll be cleaning up the valves and lapping them as I've been saying I'll do for days now.  There was some extra work involved in cleaning up the ports, due to their being a lot dirtier than previously thought.


Cleaning out 3 pairs reduced my brass wire wheel bit to this:

"I bet your bald-ass would, but the price is five!"

After swapping bits out, I got almost all of the prelim cleaning done before the Dremel battery died.  Sprayed down with cleaner, left to soak, and got back to the hell pit that was the pushrod chamber.  Looking a little better now.


I reckon it should clear up better after drying out overnight.


This was interesting to me. The timing gear is made out of some weird ass resin.  Feels almost like some kind of phenolic.  Pretty impressive that these last 40+ years.

Moving on: finish the head, install tappets, intake & exhaust, then slap the whole shebang on the block.  Afterwards, I hoist the motor out to allow easier installation of sundries and attachment to transmission.

No comments:

Post a Comment