Saturday, September 30, 2017

Get your shoes on, Gremlin! Gotta get ready for picture day

Getting the rear end done-done right now.  Feeding the diff some gear oil, torquing the hanger bolts to spec, and finally solving a problem that's cost me a couple years off my life because no good answer could be found.

The '78 Gremlin (probably '77 as well, dunno about others) had rubber isolation pads ("isopads") sandwiching the leaf springs, though I couldn't find any repros or alternatives to using them.  I found some polyurethane pads that are supposed to work for the Pacer, figured "close enough", and picked them up a while back.

Unfortunately, they missed the mark by quite a ways.  After dicking around with these pads for far too much time, I found that a sharp knife, drill, and (not strictly necessary, but saves hours of work) a band saw makes them fairly serviceable.


Drill holes, chamfer the outside bend edges, and chop away whatever gets in the way.

I'd prefer rubber, but whatever. Better than nothing, even if it's quite apparent that I've been gnawing on them like a rat.  Prothane part #: 60559, 60560

No comments:

Post a Comment