Friday, June 29, 2018

Let me brake it down. Dear god, please let me brake it down. Also, re-nerd to sender.

Nobody carries 18 gauge sheet.  I get it; you can't carry everything, so you have to pick the closest gudnuff option with some things.  It still sucks when I'm trying to bend brackets without a brake and the price is right option is 16 gauge.  That small numeric gap makes quite a difference under those circumstances.

You'll probably tell me that I should consider buying a metal brake.  Lucky for you, I have a very good reason for not having one:

I don't feel like it.

That's enough of my totally reasonable and justified complaining.  We have fuel senders to discuss!


Pictured above is the rheostat portion of part number 55818, made by the Door Man himself.  Details on the product mention that it is designed for several makes, with AMC being one.  That's pretty neat.

I find it kind of interesting that they specify the late model sender resistance range, while using a rheo housing and resistor element form factor that's the style of the older senders.  It'd be really convenient if they had used late model packaging, but I can't expect everything for $20.

The internals surprised me somewhat, since it looks as though they decided on the other design path with their wiper (vs what I described a few posts back, where the OE wiper was designed with multiple roles in mind).

My blurry-ass picture illustrates that Mr. Man opted to use multiple components to perform isolated tasks: the conductor is a simple brass piece (an uncompressed rivet, by the looks of it), and the contact tension is loaded by a spring that's fitted over it.  The wiper arm is an extension of the float arm, which sources its retaining tension from a second spring.

I wasn't expecting to see a wire-wound resistor strip when I bought the part. I had fully expected it to be a PCB design, like I had mentioned previously.  All in all, I'm not sure what to think.  I'm a little suspicious of how long-lived these little springs are going to be, especially given how senders like to rust up.

I really don't know if there's a right answer, to be honest.  Maybe a design that uses peizo elements to determine weight of the tank?  Might work if you only drove a certain speed on smooth, flat terrain.  Or put a computer to the task.  Neither idea works for me.  There are probably a number of equally viable and complicated solutions that could be implemented, but I don't think we'll beat the electric toilet model for simplicity.

Oh! How about a sight glass, LEDs, and a camera?






No comments:

Post a Comment