Friday, June 1, 2018

Get ready for hydrauloholics anonymous. In the meantime, cut the cable and leaf the bad lines to me.

I bought a replacement flex line for the rear end a whole back, knowing it wasn't a direct fit (despite what every parts seller says).  I figured it would be better to get it switched over to a new part that is much cheaper and easier to source than the actual replacement, even though it would require reshaping or replacing the rear hardlines.

Turns out it wasn't about a bad idea, since the rear passenger line had been bent to bejeezus by someone in days past (making u-bolt removal/installation a real pain in the ass).  I decided to take that as an invitation to toss some new lines on and got a couple lengths of 3/16" rhino hide from O'Partsy's. 

Now, bending lines is bending lines - I suspect that the people who enjoy doing it have some kind of mental disorder that should be addressed if they go around promoting their strange preferences.  I have to say that this smaller diameter tubing was much less of an aggravation to deal with.  Even after munching up one of the lines and having to make another supply run, I was able to get the new lines shaped and installed in a couple hours.

What hasn't been simple, though, is getting the rear end in order.  I've reached the point where I've traced all the problems that remain to the spring shackles inverting.  My friend and I spent a while trying to pop them into the proper orientation last night, but that went nowhere.  I just got done pulling a leaf pack and (re-re-)re-measuring it, and confirmed that the lengths and arch are correct.  I'm going to try reinstalling them tomorrow (again) to see if I can get different results from the same actions. 

The good news is that the parking brake cable was replaced with next to no trouble, minus the return spring stretching out because of how corroded and worn it had become.  The really good news is that I finally found a practical and cheap means of bleeding brakes that doesn't require bothering someone else.  I'll be writing that up as a how-to to accompany my power steering setup for a hydraulic theme week (or days. Or day.)  that will be getting posted here in the near or far future.


No comments:

Post a Comment