Friday, June 29, 2018

Hell is other brackets

So aside from the starter, which was finished yesterday, I've been working to get this radiator situation resolved.  Brackets are finally done, and the radiator mounting straps have been appropriately trimmed.  Space availability demanded this to be done in somewhat close quarters, so I made sure to wear the appropriate PPE.


My new brackets are already drilled where needed to attach to the straps, as well as many places where it's completely unnecessary.  Next step is to drill the straps without ruining the radiator, assuming I've not done that already.  

Since I've gotten more than a little tired of working on this, I'm now moving on to getting the sender completed so I can check fuel delivery and return off the list of systems still unfinished (minus the carb, of course. We're waiting on a choke coil and a spacer/insulator plate before that's ready to go).

Exhaust is pending, though the side pipes are assembled and awaiting final fitment.  The Y pipe is slated to be pulled and cut, both because it hangs down lower than the frame rails (which could spell bad times in high-centering situations), and because the path it follows is making the routing for the left side much more difficult than it needs to be.  I won't know for sure until after the sides are mounted, but there's a distinct chance that we may still end up being able to run true dual exhaust without sacrificing time, work, or cost.  I'm hoping that this ends up being the case, if for no other reason than to allow purpose to be given to the otherwise-useless stock of 2" material I've accumulated.

Once I've pulled the Y pipe, I'll be able to finish installing the trans cooler lines.  They're actually just dangling kind of in place for now, because there's no way to get them around the Y pipe with it in place.  I'll go ahead and get them tied in and the starter reinstalled, in keeping with my policy of minimizing the number of times I have to get under and out from under the car.

I expect the work with the sender to result in a more-detailed post, since I'm going to need to figure out how to sensibly marry the different designs.  I'll save that for once it's done.  Hopefully tomorrow?




No comments:

Post a Comment