Sunday, November 19, 2017

Is this on? Are we recording?

Got the Gremlin lifted, primer laid down, etc.  Check this out:


That's not cigarette smoke tar, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look like it.  That's actually the tar/asphalt undercoating bleeding into the primer due to being dissolved slightly by the solvents in the primer mix.  Neat!

So here we are after I lazy spewed a rattle can that I found matches the aged AMC Firecracker Red nearly 1:1. 


I understand Chrysler had a few years run where "Firecracker Red" was a color choice for Jeeps (around the early 2000s or so? Sometime past the start of this millennium), though it was discontinued again after.   I'm not using the Mopar paint because I'm not entirely convinced it's an exact match, I like the color as it's aged, which is going to differ greatly from the new paint, and lastly, do I seem like I could afford buying enough recently-discontinued Mopar paint to do a floor pan (let alone a significant amount of the overall vehicle)?  I'm not made of airports.

Back to the paint I'm using:

I believe glaring difference between the OE and new paint colors are due to,

  1. The primer choice.  OE was grey or black, depending on the alignment of certain stars.  I used white, because I'm not going to be using that primer anywhere that the paint will be seen. This was to give me a chance to see how the color would react with a different undercoat, as well as giving me a chance to make sure the white primer didn't go to waste.
  2. That old shit be dirty.
  3. New paint is still drying.
In order to run those goddamned fuel lines, get the trans in place, and seal the underside of the floors, Gremlin got tall.

Sure would've been nice if I'd thought to do that when I started fucking around with the floors. . . 

The next update will feature our return to the center of the Gremlin.  At this point, I'm just postponing the Eagle post because. . . Well, just because that's what I feel like doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment