Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Maxing pump, pushing pulleys, and moving the sender

A common detail of the head swap from a 242 onto a 258 is that the power steering pump bracket "won't fit".  I've not found a lot of specifics on where the interference is, and I've never seen a pattern available for new brackets.  I'm hoping that I'll have added something of that sort by the time I finish getting the motor ready.

Here's our pump and front-most bracket, with the pump at the end of the swing in the tensioning arc.  That is to say, this is the position of the pump with it's belt as tight as it can be made.  To help visualize, the lower leftmost holes are those that correspond with the bosses on the water pump.


With the pump in this position, the aluminum inner bracket won't clear the exhaust runner for cylinder 1.  This looks like it'll be simple enough to fix by cutting a new bracket from 1/8" sheet, extending the leftmost hole out by another 1/2-3/4".  This will pivot the pump away from the exhaust runner enough to keep them from fighting over the same spot.  I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, though we'll see when we get there tomorrow.

There was an unforeseen issue of clearance involving the power steering pump belt's idler pulley bracket and the head.  In short, I had to cut and grind the hell out of it to fit.  I also had to move the temperature sender from the thermostat housing to an open port on the driver's side of the block, previously occupied by a CTO switch.  

Since I'm a cheapass and wanted to use the sender that was originally installed in the 258's head, I needed a brass reducer fitting to step up to the size of the block's port.  In order to make sure that the sender was directly in contact with the coolant, I had to drill out about half of the reducer's inner mass.  If memory serves, the reducer was a 3/8 to 1/4 NPT,  though I wasn't sharp enough to write it down.  If it helps, I believe the stock temp sensor (that fits in the thermostat housing) is of the same size/thread pitch of the OD threads.

All of these fitment issues, barring the PS pump, were painstakingly discovered through an iterative process that spanned about 6 hours.  That's 6 hours of, "Damn. This part's in the way.  Better grind it", followed by, "Sonofabitch! Now that's in the way.  Time for the band saw", which made way for, "Fuck! Now I have to unscrew that thing that I used red loctite on a few days ago and I left the torch at the house!", and so on.  While I get that these things are business as usual for this kind of work, I'm looking forward to close of business so I can drive the hell out of here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment