Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Vertebrae for keeps

Last three days have been solidly locked up in my neck.  Went to bed, feeling as fine as I usually do, then woke up the next morning with my shoulder pinned to my ear.  It's just a thing, happens now and again.  Usually, though, it's my lower back that's decided to quit without giving notice.  Those situations tend to take a week or so to clear up, though, so I guess I'm ahead of the game.

Back in the shop today, at least.  Been cutting and welding, fitting and spitting, fussin and cussin.  I don't really want to talk exhaust, but I guess I'm talking exhaust.

Long/short, the pipes I had just weren't going to fit.  I used every means I could think of to make that shit work, but it just wasn't happening.  I eventually had to make the call that I was going to need to pony up and get a new solution, because trying to make something out of what I had was getting more and more into diminishing returns country.

I figured out what seems so far to be a pretty good solution: I got a few mandrel bent 90s and a pair of woodpecker-flavor straight tube glasspacks.  In light of having recovered my cats, I think I made a pretty solid decision.  As of close of business, I'm back to where I was a few weeks ago.  That is to say, I've fit everything together on the driver's side correctly, verified clearances, and am now working to get hangers sorted out before I make some tack welds to retain exact placement.  Afterwards, I'll do the same to the right side of the car, pull everything off, finish the welds, paint, and wrap as appropriate. 

What a pain in the ass.  Still, gonna be worth it when it's done!




No comments:

Post a Comment